Earlier today I got an email from Amazon letting me know that one of my instances was experiencing “degraded performance” due to a hardware failure. They recommended that I stop and restart the instance so that it would be automatically migrated to new hardware.
So, I logged into AWS to check to see if the instance got removed from my Elastic Load Balancer like it should have. Turns out it WAS automatically removed. I simply force stopped the instance and brought it back online and the problem was solved.
Summary: Hardware Failure was fixable with one click and resulted in ZERO downtown. Gotta love it.
I’m currently attempting to max out my free Dropbox account by buying some AdWords that use my referral link. I’ll update this if I get any results.
UPDATE: Well I spent about $35 and got up to 11.5GB of space. I think I probably would have had better results without spending as much money, but I think some other people were trying to do the same thing at the time so we essentially got in a bidding war and drove the CPC up. I’ll probably try again to get to 16GB in a couple of months.
Note to self: Do not trust Django to set up your database indexes correctly! It really has no concept of what should be indexed and what shouldn’t. The only thing it gets right is the table id (obviously) and any model fields you set as unique.
I’ve read things about this before, but sort of put defining my indexes on the back burner. You would think it would pick up CharFields with “choices” defined and things like that, but it doesn’t.
Oh man. I know I’ve encountered something like this before. So many developers have absolutely no experience writing decent SQL. Its getting even worse these days with the prevalence of ORMs in all the big frameworks. When they do have to actually write a query, they just throw syntax together until it works, even if it ends up looking like this and taking 18 hours to run:
I’ve been wanting to redo my home page so it has a simple blog, but I didn’t want to have yet another place to remember to post stuff to. I saw people like +Kevin Rosewere using their Google+ profiles as their home pages. I liked the general idea of that, but still wanted my own domain.
I ended up hacking together a simple script that you can stick in a web directory that creates a blog/homepage that is powered by your public Google+ posts. I’m calling it Plusify. It’s easily theme-able and has the added benefit of backing up your public Google+ posts to a SQLite database.
I noticed that +Daniel Treadwell created a Wordpress plugin and a service called Pluss.es to do something similar, but I didn’t want a full Wordpress install just to run my dinky blog. Also, I wanted to continue to host my blog, so Pluss.es was out as well.
Disclaimer: I normally do web stuff with Python these days, but I used PHP for this because more web hosts support it. I’ve only spent a few hours working on this, so don’t hate if you don’t like the code or product. Also, I’m no designer so you’ll probably think the default theme is ugly.
There is still work to do on it and it probably has some bugs, but I think its a pretty good start for only a few hours work. I’ve open sourced the code, so you can fork it at: https://github.com/lylepratt/Plusify